Orthodontic retainers may be removable, fixed or a combination of the two. Retainers are designed to hold your teeth in their new, correct positions after your teeth have been straightened. Your orthodontic team will instruct you on how to wear your retainers. Wearing your retainer as directed is crucial to prevent regression of your final result.
The Essix retainers are clear plastic and look very much like the Invisalign tray. However, the Essix retainer is just to maintain the current alignment of your teeth after braces are removed. The advantage of removable retainers is that they can be removed during brushing and eating.
- Wearing your retainers as directed by Dr. Schuessler
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste
- Use warm but not hot water
- Brushing retainers remove the plaque, and eliminates odors.
- Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case.
- Pets love to chew on them!
- Heat will distort them!
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments!
Fixed or bonded retainers are a thin wire that is bonded to the back of your teeth and cannot be removed by the patient. This type of retainer is typically used to maintain the lower front teeth. Sometimes a removable retainer is worn at night in conjunction with a fixed retainer.